Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day - Making a Memory

Happy Father's Day to everyone - especially my Dad (Harvey) and my father-in-law (Mel)!

One thing I have learned from both of these men is that you should travel while you can. My Dad is now 88 and Mel is 90. The past couple of years have been hard on both of them and their health ailments have increased to the point they don't feel comfortable traveling anymore.

But - I'm so happy to say that they both traveled a considerable amount when they were able to. My parents traveled because of my Dad's work. I was an insurance company brat. Dad was President of several companies, and therefore had to arrange for their conventions and incentive promotions. They went on cruises, traveled to Europe, and stayed in some of the finest hotels. They were blessed to be able to do that. My parents have a small group of friends who also get together and all of them travel. They've done several cruises to Alaska and Mexico, and just enjoy being together and sharing the moment.

Mel is a retired Navy Captain - and he travelled the world but in a different sort of manner. After he retired, they became big fans of river cruising here in the States. They love the small boat feel and cruising down the inland waterways on the East coast. They golfed in every port they stopped at. They've also gone on three ocean cruises.

One of the best cruises that Jim and I ever took was a short cruise to Cabo San Lucas round trip out of San Diego with my parents. We took advantage of our time with them and sat down and asked them questions about how they met and each converation grew and grew into more and more things they remembered. It was a fascinating trip and one that I will always cherish. I took notes about everything they told us and I'm not putting it all together in a memory book for my daughters and grandsons and family.

I found out on that cruise that my great great grandmother was a widow with five boys. She lived in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and had a long-time friend who had recently become a widower in California. He wrote to her and offered to marry her and move her family out to Visalia. She and the boy boarded a train to California and when they arrived, he met them and they walked across the street to the Justice of the Peace and were married immediately. My grandfather was one of those five young boys! If we hadn't been on that cruise, and we hadn't asked all the questions, I may never have known that story!

Take the time with your parents and just sit and talk with them about some of their memories while they are still here. Before we know it, it will be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment